Directions: This .section is designed to test your ability to understand spoken English. You will hear a selection of recorded materials and you must answer the questions that accompany them. There are two parts in this section, Part A and Part B. Remember, while you are doing the test, you should first put down your answers in your test booklet. At the end of the listening comprehension section, you will have 3 minutes to transfer your answers booklet onto your ANSWER SHEET 1. If you have any questions, you may raise your hand NOW as you will not be allowed to speak once the test has started. Now look at Part A in your test booklet.
Part A You will hear 10 short dialogues. For each dialogue, there is one question and four possible answers. Choose the correct answer-A, B, C or D, and mark it in your test booklet. You will have 15seconds to answer the question and you will hear each dialogue ONLY ONCE. Example: You will hear: W: Could you please tell me if the Beijing flight will be arriving on time? M:Yes, Madam. It should be arriving in about ten minutes. You will read: Who do you think the woman is talking to? A. A bus conductor. B. A clerk at the airport. C. A taxi driver. D. A clerk at the station.
From the dialogue, we know that only a clerk at the airport is most likely to know of a flight, so you should choose answer B . and mark it in your test booklet. Sample Answer: A . B. C. D. Now look at question 1.
1. What do the girls have in common? A. Both of them are going to Zimbabwe. B . They are both from Africa. C . They are of the same age. D. They are interested in African art.
2. What do we learn from this conversation? A. Mr. Smith is the new manager. B. The manager is a man. C. The former manager has left. D. The manager is not here.
3. What does the woman want to know? A. Where to board the plane. B. Where to find a telephone. C. The flight number. D. The departure time.
4. What does the woman mean? A. She doesn’ t want to ask Mr. Jackson herself. B . She doesn ’ t want to work for Mr. Jackson. C . Mr. Jackson may have broken the tape recorder. D. Mr. Jackson might fix the tape recorder.
5. What does the woman mean? A. They don’t have concert. B. His brother should let them use the car. C . The subway is fine with her. D. A car wouldn ’ t be any faster.
6. Why is the man tired? A. His job is difficult. B. His job isn’t interesting. C. He doesn’t know how to do his job. D. He doesn’t sleep well at night.
7. What do we learn from this conversation? A. The woman will probably go to Canada for her vacation. B. The woman will probably wait until summer to go to Mexico. C. The woman will probably not go to Canada for her winter vacation. D. The woman will probably stay home during her vacation.
8. What does the woman mean? A. The man needs to continue walking. B . The man needs to go straight back for two blocks. C . He has already passed the building. D. The building is to his right.
9. What was Peter doing at the hospital? A. Something is wrong with his baby. B. His wife just had a new baby. C. He went to see a doctor. D. He was seeing his sister.
10. What does the man mean? A. He is not free after dinner. B. He can go to the concert if he has time. C . They can not go to concert together. D . He will go to the concert.