1. -----Nancy is not coming tonight.
----- But she _____!
A. promises B. promised C. will promise D. had promised
2. We've made some achievements, but there is still a long way _____.
A. goingB. to go C. gone D. to be gone
3. Dr. Bethune began to work the _____ he arrived at the front.
A. moment B. place C. way D. reason
4. ----- This pen isn't yours, is it?
A. Yes, it's not mine B. No, yours is bigger
C. No, it's my friend's D. Yes, mine's a red one
5. ----- Thanks for the_____ you did me to move away the stone.
----- That's all right.
A. favourB. good C. trouble D. kindness
6. She won't be afraid as _____ as you are here.
A. longB. well C. soon D. far
7. It isn't quite _____whether she will take the advice.
A. sureB. right C. certainD. exact
8. Shirley _____a book about China last year but I don't know whether she has finished it.
A. has writtenB. wrote C. had writtenD. was writing
9. _____the children to bed, she began to correct the students' exercises.
A. SendingB. Being sentC. sent D. Having sent
10. Nobody noticed the thief because the lights happened to _____.
A. be put upB. give in C. be turned onD. go out
11. Why do you want a new job_____ you've got such a good one already?
A. that B. where C. which D. when
12. He insisted that his brother ____ the window. It was clear that someone else broke
A. should not break B. should not have broken
C. hadn't broken D. would not break
13. ----- Can you come on Monday or Tuesday?
----- I'm afraid _____day is possible.
A. either B. neither C. some D. any
14. ----- Don't forget to come to my birthday party, Mr. Wang. ----- _____.
A. No, I don't B. Yes, I can't C. No, I won't D. Yes, I'm sure
15. Tom's father, , _____in New York for a few more days.
A. suggest him to stayB. suggested him that he should stay
C. suggest him staying D. suggests he stay