1) I was scared of leaving the protective bubble of this place for places unknown,during times. 在经济不稳定的年代，我害怕离开这里的保护罩到未知的地方去。
2) You are the only one who can answer that,But what I can offer as guidance,and reassurance,is a story:the story of one Stanford graduate's process of stumbling and searching to find a place in the world,oftentimes in the face of her fears. 你是仅仅一个可以回答这个问题的人，但是我能够讲一个故事为你提供引导使你放心：这是一位斯坦福大学毕业生在社会上摸爬滚打以争得一席之地的故事，尽管她一直面对恐惧。
3) The philosophics and ideologies themselves certainly left an impression on me.But the rigor of the distillation process,the exercise of refinement,that's where the real learning happened. 这些哲理和思想的确给我留下了深刻印象,但严谨的提炼过程和不断的改进加工才是我真正学习到的东西.
4)When you graduate from here,you exit with thousands of pages of personal text on which are inscribed beliefs and values shaped by years of education,family interactions,relationship,experience. 当你从这里毕业时,你会带着数千页的个人纪录走出校门,在这些记录上,是你多年来受教育,家庭,社会关系以及个人经历影响而形成的信念和价值观.
5)I had convinced myself that my analytic mind and my Stanford humanities degree were enough to guell the fear. 我已确信我善于分析的头脑和斯坦福大学的人文学科的学位足以平息我的恐惧.
6) We all know that normal human daily cycle of activity is of some 7-8 hours' sleep alternating with some 16-17 hours' wakefulness and that,broadly speaking,the sleep normally coincides with the hours of darkness. 我们都清楚正常人每天的活动周期是大约7-8个小时睡眠和16-17个小时清醒轮流相互交替，我么也知道，一般来说，睡眠常在夜间进行。
7) The case ,for example,with which people can change from working in the day to working at night is a question of growing importance in industry where automation calls insistently for round-the-clock working of machines.
8) This means that no sooner has he got used to one routine than he has to change to another,so that much of his time is spent neither working nor sleeping very efficiently. 这说明他刚适应一种工作规律就又得转向另一种工作规律,因此在他大部分时间里,休息和工作的效率很低.
9) One answer would seem to be longer periods on each shift,a month,or even three months. 一个解决的方法似乎是每些,可以一个月甚至三个月换一次班.
10) The only real solution appears to be to hand over the night shift to a corps of permanent night workers whose nocturnal wakefulness may weekends and holidays. 唯一能解决问题的方法是将夜班交给一些长期从事夜间工作的人,,他们在周末和假期依然会保持警醒状态.
11) The first two stages in the development of civilized man were probably the invention of primitive weapons and the discovery of fire,although nobody knows exactly when he acquired the use of the latter. 在人类文明发展的进程中，最初的两个阶段可能是原始武器的发明和火的发现，但没有人确切的知道，人类是在什么时候学会利用火的。
12) Animal have a few cries that serve as signals,but even the highest apes haven't been found able to pronounce words,even with the most intensive professional instructions. 动物会发出几种叫声作为信号，然而人们发现，即使是最高级的猿经过强化的专业训练也不能说出话来。
13) Agriculture made possible an immense increase in the number of the human species in the regions where it could be successfully practised. 在农业繁荣的地区，农业的发展使当地人口的数量大幅度增长。
14) These inventions and discoveries---fire,speech,weapons,domestic animals,agriculture and writing---made the existence of civilized communities possible. 火,语言,武器,家禽,农业和文字的发明,使得文明社会有了存在的可能.
15) There was progress---there were even two inventions of great importance,namely gunpowder and the mariner's compass---but neither of these can be compared in their revolutionary power to such things as speech and writing and agriculture. 进步是有的,有两项伟大发明,火药和航海指南针,但是,就其革命性而言,这两项发明都不能同语言,文字,和农业相比.
16) Growth in electronic commerce is not a straight line trend---it come slowly at first,then accelerates rapidly. 电子商务的发展并非一帆风顺，而是经历了缓慢起步才加速前进的。
17) Nonetheless,although it may take six years to reach sales of 1 trillion dollars,it won't take six more to reach 2 trillion,nor perhaps even two to expaned from 2 to 4 trillion dollars. 尽管可能需要六年时间才能使销售收入达到1万亿美元,但是从1万亿到2万亿美元则不会再用六年时间,而从2万亿到4万亿美元甚至用不了两年时间.
18) will turn the world into one giant shopping mall for products,services,and investments. 电子商务将会把世界变成一个集提供产品，服务与投资与一体的大型购物中心。