I __1_ by myself in my usual compartment for at least 10 minutes,waiting __2_.The train never seemed to start on time and I often thought that I could have __3_ in bed a little longer,or had another cup of tea before _4__. Suddenly I heard someone __5_ on the platform outside.A young girl _6__ towards the train.The man on duty put out his hand __7_ but she ran past him and opened the door of my compartment.Then the whistle blew and the train started.
"I nearly missed it,__8_?"the girl said."How long does it take to _9__ London?"
"It depends ."I said ,"Some day it's much slower than others."
"I'll have to __10_ so as not to be late again tomorrow,"she said."_11__ my first day at work with a new firm today and they told me that the man _12__ is very strict.I __13_ him yet so I don't know __14_ but he sounds a bit frightening."
She talked about the new job on the way to London and before long,I realized that she _15__ for my firm.I _16__ in the firm for nearly 20 years.Our boss was really a very strict man.My own secretary _17__ so I must be her new boss._18__ fair to her.
"Oh,dear,"she said."What a terrible mistake!I wish I _19__."
"Never mind,"I said."at least you'll know when you train's late_20__."
1) A have been sitting B had been sitting
C sitD am sitting
2) A for the train to start B the train starting
C the train startD for the train starting
3) A lainB laid C lied D lay
4) A I have left the home B I leave from home
C leaving home D to leave home
5) A shouting B shouted C was shouting D be shouting
6) A runningB runs C is runningD was running
7) A stop herB stops herC and stopped her D to stop her
8) A haven't I B wasn't I C don't ID didn't I
9) A get to B reach to C arrive to D make to
10) A mend me the watch B mend me my watch
C have my watch mendedD have mended my watch
11) A there was B there is C it isD it was
12) A I am going to work forB what I am going to work for
C for which I am going to work D which I am going to work for
13) A did not meet B haven't metC didn't know D haven't known
14) A what he is like B what is he like
C how he is D how is he
15) A had been working B will go to work
C is going to work D was going to working
16) A had been working B have been working
C workedD have worked
17) A was left B leavesC had left D have left
18) A there was B that was C it was D was
19) A know B knewC have known D had known
20) A so will the time be B the mine will be,too
C so will mine D mine will be,too